Saturday, December 22, 2007

Rows of Wheelchairs

A couple weeks ago, Kate & I flew down to Fort Lauderdale for a little conference. Actually, I didn't attend anything, but the idea of hanging out in a Westin spa hotel on the beach in 80 degree weather was sounding pretty good.

We flew out of Newark nonstop to Florida. As we were sitting there waiting to board, I was starting to notice a certain demographic seemed to be dominating the waiting area. That's right - there were more octogenarians swarming around that gate than I've seen since.... Well, a long time anyway.

As we were boarding, I overheard the gate agent reiterate her request into the walkie talkie: 14 wheelchairs with attendants were needed to assist in boarding the plane. I've seen 2 or 3, but 14 has to be an all-time record.

No comments: